feedburner
Enter your email address:

Delivered by FeedBurner

feedburner count

'Trying' To Quit Smoking Isn't Good Enough

Labels:

Have you ever said those words? How about “I’m going to try AGAIN”, or “Might as well give it another shot, what have I got to lose.” You can’t think like this. A famous quote and pardon me for not knowing who said it, states that ‘Nobody who tries anything, accomplishes very much.’ And the same is true for quitting smoking.

Even though you are looking to convince yourself or someone else that you truly desire to quit, by saying ‘try’, you are conditioning your subconscious beliefs for potential failure.

Need an example? How about this. My wife has a fear of roller coasters and I don’t know where it came from. She’s not afraid of heights and not really afraid of speed, so why this is, I still haven’t figured it out. And the funny thing is she can’t tell me why either.

In any case, there have been occasions when my son and I have been able to convince her to stand in line with us and have got her to say ‘I’ll try.’ But here’s the thing; every time we get near the loading lane, she bails out and decides to wait for us at the end instead.

So how does she get out of it and still feel good about herself? Because she only said she would ‘try’ and that doesn’t really count. The same goes when you are the path to becoming a non-smoker. By only trying, you are leaving yourself an easy exit down the road. And this isn’t something you want to do.

Talk to any smoker who has gone through this process, some of them more than once, and you will find that when they set out to achieve their goal of quitting they said ‘I’ll try’ and when they failed, they state ‘Oh well, I tried.’

So what you need to do if you are to commit is remove the word ‘try’ completely. Use a statement like this. ‘I am going to quit to better my health. For the betterment of my family. For the betterment of my finances. No exceptions.’ Can you see the difference? You must state the exact reasons for why you want to quit. With no allowances for weakness or failure.

If you want to hold yourself accountable to your goal of becoming a non-smoker, then you MUST put statements like this onto paper. And then you MUST place these pieces of paper where you can see them often so that you never lose sight of your ultimate goal.



0 comments:

Post a Comment